Nancy Guthrie search: Third alleged ransom deadline missed as investigators pursue ‘new leads’
A third alleged ransom deadline for Nancy Guthrie, the mother of NBC “Today” co-host Savannah Guthrie, passed without proof of life or resolution on Tuesday. The Pima County Sheriff’s Office announced the search has expanded and investigators were following up on “new leads.”
FAST FACTS
The search for Nancy Guthrie – the missing 84-year-old mother of NBC “Today” co-host Savannah Guthrie – entered its tenth day on Tuesday, Feb. 10. No suspects or persons of interests have been identified.
The final alleged ransom deadline connected to the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie was reportedly set for 5 p.m. local time on Monday, Feb. 9. It was unclear whether communication continued between the family and alleged kidnappers after the deadline.
Savannah Guthrie posted a video to Instagram on Monday, sharing a heartfelt message to her followers asking for help finding her mother.
The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward for information on Guthrie’s disappearance.
Get the Best of Fox News
FBI releases video of possible subject in Nancy Guthrie case

Surveillance video released by federal authorities shows a masked individual investigators say is a subject of interest entering Nancy Guthrie’s home early Sunday, Feb. 1.
Breaking News
Surveillance photos released of masked subject entering Nancy Guthrie’s home

Federal authorities released a surveillance photo showing a masked individual investigators say is a subject of interest in the Nancy Guthrie case entering her home early Sunday, Feb. 1.
“Over the last eight days, the FBI and Pima County Sheriff’s Department have been working closely with our private sector partners to continue to recover any images or video footage from Nancy Guthrie’s home that may have been lost, corrupted, or inaccessible due to a variety of factors – including the removal of recording devices. The video was recovered from residual data located in backend systems,” FBI Director Kash Patel said in a Tuesday X post.
“Working with our partners – as of this morning, law enforcement has uncovered these previously inaccessible new images showing an armed individual appearing to have tampered with the camera at Nancy Guthrie’s front door the morning of her disappearance.”
Security expert says FBI is best suited to handle Nancy Guthrie case
A security and intelligence expert says the FBI — not private investigators — is best equipped to handle the case involving Nancy Guthrie, citing the rarity and complexity of kidnapping-for-ransom crimes in the United States.
Herman Weisberg of SAGE Intelligence said once the FBI is involved, outside investigators add little value.
“Now that the FBI is involved, I think they’re the most qualified agency maybe in the world to deal with a situation like this,” Weisberg said.
Weisberg said planned ransom kidnappings are extremely rare because modern technology makes them difficult to execute.
“A planned kidnapping for ransom is extremely rare,” he said. “This isn’t 1930s Lindbergh. There are high-def cameras and license plate readers and cell phone identifiers.”
He said communication and financial trails expose perpetrators.
“Everything is traceable,” Weisberg said, adding that criminals understand “the more they communicate, the more they’re opening themselves up to reveal themselves.”
Weisberg said investigators are likely withholding information by design.
“The FBI’s main concern here is not to satiate the news cycles,” he said.
He said the focus remains on recovery.
“The main objective here is to get Mrs. Guthrie back alive and in good health,” Weisberg said.
Fox News Digital’s Michael Ruiz contributed to this report.